Mediapost examines a Pivotal Research Group analysis of estimates based on Nielsen’s cable network.
The report notes a 2.9% decline in overall median cable network subscribers in June 2016, similar to a 3% drop for the previous month and a 2.8% drop in April of that same year.
The largest declines in subscribers have come from “mid-level and fringe” networks including:
- Boomerang (Time Warner): -9.6%
- CMT (Viacom): -9.6%
- Destination America (Discovery): -8.7%
- Discovery Family Channel (Discovery): -8.4%
- MTV Class (Viacom): -8.0%
- American Heroes Channel (Discovery): -7.4%
- DIY (Scripps Networks Interactive): -7.1%
- Science Channel (Discovery): -6.7%
- Spike (Viacom): -6.6%
For the sample month, of the 120 networks tracked by Nielsen, just 16 showed positive subscriber growth, including:
- Sundance Channel (AMC Networks): +9.8%
- FXX (Fox) +6.7%
- Velocity (Discovery): +3.4%